Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pinterest, go eff yourself.

So, I did pretty well at staying away from Pinterest for a long time. Even after I joined, I looked at some stuff, pinned a few things, then forgot about it. However, recently I have been spending more time looking at all of the cute stuff 'good' moms do with/for their kids because we have an upcoming vacation (can you call it a vacation if you are bring a 1 and 3 year old with you?) that requires us to fly with two toddlers - in an actual airplane...not just a giant cardboard box we are pretending is an airplane while making obnoxious vvvvrrrrrmmmm sounds. A few years ago we flew with our then 18 month old and it went fairly well thanks to a portable DVD player, a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD, and a lollipop, but now there are two of them and I have definitely lost some sanity over the past two years, so I feel the need to prepare a little more just to try to make it a little easier and more enjoyable for all of us.

So I got on Pinterest and typed in "activities for a toddler on a plane". As you probably know, Pinterest is a GD rabbit hole and sucks you into it's deep, dark abyss as soon as you push enter. I start repinning like a fiend - homemade busy bags, marble mazes, homemade dry erase coloring pages - and all the while the voice in my head (one of them anyway, Hi Susan!) is saying "Who are you kidding? You aren't actually going to DO any of these". I was determined to at least attempt one and either delight in my success at finally becoming a 'good' mom *eye roll* or laugh at my Pinterest fail. I eventually picked these felt boards because it looked easy enough for me and required some felt and a pair of scissors.

People who know that I enjoy painting and drawing seem to assume that my artistic abilities mean I MUST be good at crafting, but to be honest, I'm not good at it. I don't love it. I don't get it. I paint. I draw. I don't make homemade bow boards and wreaths and felt boards! But wait, I *do* make felt boards....and I enjoy it.

In fact, I got a little crazy crazier. I started having so much fun with this felt project that I fell straight from the Pinterest rabbit hole into the crafting rabbit hole. What was going to be felt boards turned into a hand sewn felt 'quiet' book. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not a masterpiece, but considering I was expecting a Pinterest fail, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:









I ended up making the little pockets to hold the felt pieces when they aren't being used mostly because I could imagine those little suckers getting lost the first time he uses it (still going to happen, I'm sure) and also because he really enjoys doing buttons and snaps right now, so it adds some fun to the activity.

So here is where I say "Pinterest, go eff yourself" because the truth is, I spent way too much time on something that my 3 year old will probably not play with because he'll be too busy sticking peanuts up his nose and kicking the seat in front of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment