Thursday, April 23, 2015

Low Calorie Stuffed Peppers - Amazeballs.

These stuffed peppers.

I can't even tell you how good they are.
Just make them.

Best part is, they are only 160 calories a piece without cheese. I chose to add about 1/8 of a cup of  2% sharp cheddar to each of mine because I love cheese and I think it's rude to cook without it. So each of mine had about 45 extra calories from the cheese. Still not bad for something that tasted so good.




I actually just altered a recipe I found on Pinterest because I like tomato sauce in my stuffed peppers and I'm partial to garlic, so I add it to pretty much everything.


Low Calorie Stuffed Peppers
Servings: 6
Time: Approximately 30-40 minutes total (I didn't really time it, but it was easy and didn't take long)

Ingredients:
3 bell peppers
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. baby Bella mushrooms
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pound 94% lean ground turkey
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. hot sauce (I used Tabasco Milder Jalapeño)
3/4 cup Hunts no added sugar pasta sauce
Salt/pepper to taste
1/8 cup of 2% shredded cheddar cheese per pepper *optional*

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. De-seed peppers and cut in half length-wise. Place on a baking sheet covered in foil (just for easy clean up). Place in oven for about 15 minutes or until they start to feel tender.
3. Meanwhile, in large skillet, sauté the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil. When they are almost completely sautéed and mushrooms have lost most of their moisture, add the garlic and cook another minute or so. Then transfer to a bowl.
4. In the same skillet, cook the turkey until no longer pink. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, pasta sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through. Add the cooked onions and mushrooms back in and mix it all together.
5. If there's any water in the center of the peppers, dump it out. Then, scoop equal amounts of the meat mixture into the pepper halves. If you are using cheese, sprinkle 1/8 cup on each pepper half. Place in oven just long enough to heat through and melt cheese.

ENJOY!!!  I had two and didn't make any sides because I really didn't think it was necessary, but this would obviously be great cut up over brown rice or quinoa.




No comments:

Post a Comment